John is a professional trombonist based in Chicago. He performs with a variety of ensembles including orchestras, Broadway style musicals, jazz, and commercial groups. He is the Adjunct Professor of Trombone at Valparaiso University and Second Trombone with the Owensboro Symphony Orchestra.
John has toured the United States with productions of 42nd Street, West Side Story, Disney’s Mary Poppins and Legally Blonde: The Musical. In the orchestral genre, John has performed across the Midwest with South Bend Symphony Orchestra, Illinois Symphony Orchestra, Evansville Philharmonic Orchestra, Orchestra Kentucky. He is a member of Tromboteam!, Chicago Gargoyle Brass and Organ Ensemble, and the Heartland Trombone Quartet. John’s discography includes: Tromboteam!’s debut album, Last Lap, featuring newly commissioned music available on MSR Records (click HERE for a sneak peak); Flourishes, Tales, and Symphonies with Chicago Gargoyle Brass and Organ Ensemble; Spires with Mirari Brass Quintet; and Coming Through Slaughter with the Dave Lisik Jazz Orchestra.
John earned his Master of Music degree in trombone performance from the Indiana University Jacobs School of Music, where he served as Graduate Assistant for the Trombone Area. He also holds a bachelor’s degree from Tennessee Technological University and credits Peter Ellefson, Susan K. Smith, Joshua Hauser, and Tim Coffman as his primary instructors. John lives with his wife (also a musician) and their young pup, Dexter, just outside of Chicago in NW Indiana.
Thank you for visiting!
- Will be performing at the Midwest Trombone and Euphonium Conference Nov. 4-6.
- Tromboteam! debut album Last Lap available at MSR Records.
- Accepted the position of Adjunct Professor of Trombone at Valparaiso University!
- Summer Slides Trombone Camp featuring Tromboteam! will have two locations and sessions in 2017:
- Session 1: Southern Miss (May 31-June 3)
- Session 2: Boise State (June 19-22)